Sunday, February 22, 2015

Toyota Has No Plans To Support Apple CarPlay

Toyota, one of Apple CarPlay's partners, has announced that they have no plans to support Apple CarPlay. For those who don't know, Apple CarPlay is an Apple version of an "infotainment system" for a car. It can use Siri, iMessage, iTunes, and more. It should be noted that a few months back, Toyota had a leak that showed a Prius using CarPlay and that it would be available in 2015. This is a let down for many people, including myself. As I will be turning 16 this year, I was hoping my first car would be a Toyota Prius equipped with Apple CarPlay, and I'm not a fan of aftermarket systems. What really killed me was this quote from John Hanson.
 "We may all eventually wind up there, but right now we prefer to use our in-house proprietary platforms for those kinds of functions."
This is a bad move from Toyota because they, along with many other car brands, are famous for producing some of the most awful infotainment systems. It's like I said the other day with my whole puzzle metaphor. In this case, Toyota should stick to making cars and let Apple and Google provide the software that works well with their devices. Let's hope Toyota changes their mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments constructive and don't use any foul language. Feel free to share your ideas, feedback, experiences, and more. Please know that I will read them. Thanks!