With iOS 8.1 available today, one of the main features (especially if you don't have an iPhone 6) is SMS Relay. This allows your other iOS devices and Macs to send and receive SMS (which is different from iMessage). Here's how to set it up.
- An iPhone (Running iOS 8.1)
- Someone to text who doesn't have an iPhone
- An iOS device (NOT an iPhone; Running iOS 8.1) and/or a Mac (Running OS X Yosemite)
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding
- Change one of the switches next to your device from grey to green.
- Pick up the device you picked and look for a code.
- If this doesn't happen instantly, go back to Settings > Messages on your iPhone and toggle iMessage off and turn it on again.
- If this still doesn't work, be sure that the two devices are on the same WiFi network.
- Enter the code on your iPhone.
- Celebrate with cake!
- Realize that the cake was a lie.